Friday, December 17, 2010

2010 - You won't really be missed.


Every time I sit down to write an update here, I struggle because A.) There are so many things to say and I don't know where to begin and B.) Most of what is on my mind has to do with how difficult life has been parenting this beautiful boy lately. It's hard to write about how things are going sometimes without feeling like I'm turning this into a place to just vent negative emotions and experiences. But the reality I guess is that parenting a child with these issues just isn't easy, and putting a sugar coating on the daily grind is next to impossible.

The great news is that Ethan is doing tremendously well in school. I continue to pinch myself daily - it's feels too good to be true. He has had a few minor behavior problems there, but they put a plan into action immediately and he seems to have responded well. He has been riding the bus for a few weeks and literally squeals gleefully each time he steps foot on the bus each day. He absolutely loves it and I've got to admit, the extra hour it buys me each day has been pretty amazing as well.

His behavior at home continues to worsen and I'm completely perplexed. He is fairly aggressive and has been hitting/kicking me on a regular basis, as well as showing some self-injurious behaviors like head banging. I've not found a way to get the upper hand in this house and it's starting to really wear me down in every way possible. In January he'll have a multi-disciplinary team meeting with the center for autism at our children's hospital and I've heard they offer a positive parenting practices class for parents who struggle with these problems. It feels good at least to know that I'm not alone.

Ethan hasn't worn his cochlear implants for months, since late June to be exact. I'm trying to keep up with the sign language, but I've got to admit that I've been feeling really overwhelmed lately and haven't done the best job in that department. I've been daydreaming about going back to school in the interpreter program and eventually becoming a licensed ASL interpreter. It would take years, but I've got to become fluent and why not turn it into a career option while I'm at it?

Ethan's dad is coming home for 17 days straight (a record I think), so we're really looking forward to having him around for the holidays and beyond.

Happy Holidays everyone!

8 comments:

Kyla said...

It sounds really tough! When things were the toughest for us, I found it really helpful to discuss it on the blog. I think voicing it and sharing it with others makes it a little bit easier to bear somehow.

Hang in there...I hope 2011 holds wonderful things for you all.

leah said...

Sending hugs your way- I hope the autism parenting support helps with the home front. It is wonderful that he is doing well in school!

Are there any TOD certification courses near you? I wonder if you could get certified as a TOD and use the ASL and teach at the same time...

Hetha said...

Thanks Kyla and Leah :-)
I hadn't given TOD much thought Leah, but it's intriguing. I just don't want to get a job that has to come home with me. I know my limitations and teaching jobs tend to suck up your time at home - something I'll never be able to commit to again I'm afraid. I'll definitely give that some thought though!

TherExtras said...

Wishing you some better affection for the year 2011.

Hope the visit with Ethan's Dad is a positive year-end-capping.

And, seriously, I hope you drop by my blog for my end-of-year post.

Barbara

www.therextras.com

Aliki2006 said...

I hope 2011 is a smoother year for you...hugs to you all--I know how had the behavioral stuff can be. We have struggled for YEARS with L.'s behavior at home. He's ten now, and I often despair about whether he'll learn to regulate his behavior more. Now that he's older, he's less physically violent but oh boy--the things that can come out of his mouth can be truly awful.

Hang in there--I hope things get better.

Nicky said...

Happy new year Heather, hope 2011 is kind to your family.

Carrie said...

Heather, best wishes for the best year yet. I hope it is filled with peace, some understanding and lots of love. Great idea about becoming a certified ASL interpreter. At some point just remember to make it a goal and not just a possibility. -With much love, Carrie

fullsoulahead.com said...

Here's hoping things will calm down for you at home in 2011. So glad he is doing well in school. That is a BIG victory.