Wednesday, July 08, 2009

ER Boy

video

I think I've mentioned that Ethan has been having some temper tantrums lately. Sunday morning he lost mind when he realized that there was no chance that his broken banana could be put back together. I turned my back on him (in part to ignore the behavior) to get his "ears" so I could attempt to talk some sense into him, but it was too late. In a fit of rage he broke a water glass that had been on the kitchen counter. I found him sitting in a puddle of water and broken glass with blood dripping from his wrist. Living 5 minutes from the Children's Hospital ER is about the coolest move we've ever made. 

So to keep Ethan happy while we waited for the bleeding to stop, the nurse wheeled in this toy from Child Life that was much like taking a stroll down the isles of Spencer Gifts in the mall. The thing also had a video projector on the very top that projected a rotating image on the wall or ceiling, depending on where you pointed it. 

He is fine. He didn't need stitches so they just cleaned it and glued it shut with Derma-bond. 

Also related to the Children's Hospital is the news that I will be part of the Family Advisory Council starting this fall. It's a 2 year commitment to attend monthly meetings and do committee work. The FAC has a history of working on meaningful projects with the staff at the hospital and I am really looking forward to being involved and supporting the place that has done so much for our family. Big thanks to my friend Michael for the encouragement!

12 comments:

Nicky said...

that's great about the committee work at the hospital. Glad Ethan didnt' need stitches - how scary though. I remember a friend of mine saying that she found herself trying to stick a biscuit (cookie in US :)) back together so her 3 year old wouldn't meltdown. She thought "what am I doing?" and decided to deal with tantrums from then on.
Nicky xx (Tom's mum)

Kyla said...

Glad he is okay! We're 45 minutes from our hospital and we've had to make the drive twice with bleeding kids. KayTar just ended up with dermabond and BubTar got a few stitches.

That committee sounds cool! I wonder if our hospital has something like that. Josh might kill me if I signed on for another commitment, though. LOL!

Annie said...

He broke a glass?? Oh, my. Thank goodness he was not seriously injured.

I enjoyed the video clip! He's such a cutie.

leah said...

Congratulations on the committee apopintment! You certainly have a lot of insight and experience to bring to the table.

Yikes with the cut- at least they were able to dermabond it and didn't have to do stitches. Living close to the hospital has a lot of advantages- we're 2 hours from Buffalo Children's and the drive can be killer (especially with a hurting child, or with a child who is HUNGRY)!

Tiffany C. said...

I'm glad everything is ok!

Cheryl said...

Sorry to hear about the glass and the whole blood thing. Glad all was okay. I really think the temper tantrums will get better, but man can they be rough for moms.
((((HUGS)))
You are the perfect person for that committee. Congratulations! You are so amazing.
Sending love and hugs and a cyber spa treatment.
Cheryl

Beck said...

we are 20 minutes from our hospital, but it's not a GOOD hospital - just a small rural one, so if we go in the middle of the night, we have to wait for the doctor to get up and drive in. Handy, eh?

Nicky said...

Hi Hetha, just been showing Tom your blog and he was so excited because Ethan has glasses and ears just like him. And he has a question....Tom admires smartly dressed people and wants to know why Ethan is wearing a tie in the picture on the top left of your blog. More specifically :) where was Ethan going in the tie?
Nickyx

KC said...

FAC sounds great. You will be fabulous.

Ethan: poor guy, glad it was minor. JL (definitely wired differently as boy) cut his finger playing with the dishwasher and I was all in a panic to see him bleed. My boy! Bleeding! JP was like it's nothing -just a cut- but the mama in me (as opposed to the MD) was freaking out.

p.s. Tim Gunn is going to be at BlogHer. DUDE.

Lisa said...

You will be a great addition to the Family Advisory Council. Congratulations!

therextras said...

Glad to hear he is mending without the need for stitches. Other children will benefit from your participation on the council.

Barbara

Aliki2006 said...

Gosh--we live near an ER too, and I am so thankful...I hope he's okay.