Monday, May 04, 2009

Sleep, it does a body good.

Totally hamming it up.


Ham Central.

Ethan has been getting some sleep lately, the kind of deep sleep that goes a long way towards helping his development. I say this because we've seen some really neat growth in his speech and language and it has coincided rather nicely with his increase in restful sleep. 

For instance:
  • Spontaneously signed and said "I want a muffin" at breakfast time. First spontaneous sentence! 
  • When asked where he found a bath toy that he brought into the kitchen he replied "Bathroom" in speech (no sign). First time ever answering a question! And he was right! 
  • When asked what happened to his glasses, he opened the trash can lid and pointed. They were sitting right where he apparently left them! 
  • While hugging a tree in the yard he signed and said "I like trees."  I remember practicing that phrase with him a few times in the car last week, but this totally appropriate and spontaneous use of the phrase really blew me away. He's making comments now! (I didn't teach him to hug trees though.)

When we moved here, less than 1 year ago, Ethan was totally nonverbal. He has been signing since the age of 10 months, but now he's putting multiple signs together and making attempts at speech along with the sign. Seeing him put it all together is so rewarding...there are no words really. We're actually beginning to communicate with our son. It's huge.

The only downer is that I am worried that he might be developing nightmares/terrors as a side effect of the sleep meds. I'm keeping an eye on it and we may have to switch medications. For now I'm just trying to focus on the positive experience that is getting a good night's sleep. It's new to Ethan entirely and it's something I haven't experienced since pre-pregnancy. 

Oh wait, I did get good sleep in New Mexico a few weeks ago! Rich held down the fort and I had a totally relaxing and amazing weekend with long lost friends. Life is good.


17 comments:

Jeff said...

Hi Hetha,

That's really great about Ethan's progress! Amazing.

Just a note on night terrors. I think it's quite common at his age. My boy Pierce just turned four a month ago. Starting about a year ago he had quite a stretch of night terrors for about 6 months. He would kick and scream and cry and act like he didn't know who we were. Very unsettling, to say the least. But he would wake up the next day remembering nothing of it. We have friends with similar aged kids that have gone through it too.

Nicky said...

Hi Hetha,
The sleep and communication is fantastic news.

Echoing Jeff slightly, I think night terrors are quite common. Just 3 weeks ago Tom started having them - it was alarming, he screamed and jumped up and down on his bed. The next day he couldn't remember anything. This went on for about a week. He also wet the bed which he hadn't done for months. Anyway, for the last week or so we haven't been aware of any more night terrors. We put it down to an unsettling vacation (we put him in ski school which although he enjoyed he found the separation from us very tough). Fingers crossed the same will be true for Ethan and this phase will soon pass.
Nicky xx

I am Trish Marie said...

Whoa! Tons of language progress! Amazing!

My kids both hit a night terrors stage. It was around 2 years for Jill and 4 for Emmi. Hopefully it is just an age stage.

Hetha said...

It never occurred to me that the nightmare/terror could just be a normal developmental phase. We started Ethan on Clonidine for his sleep disturbance problem and were warned that one of the possible side effects was nightmares. Hmm...makes me think twice about jumping to conclusions. Why can't anything be easy? WHY?

Aliki2006 said...

We wrestle with this. We have L. on a hefty dose of melatonin, which also can cause nightmares. He's suffered from night terrors and sleep disturbances for years now, so it's hard to say which came first.

I'm so glad sleep is causing these leaps and bounds!

Aliki2006 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aliki2006 said...

Sorry--double posted!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lucas'Mommy said...

That's so exciting about the communicating! I can only imagine what joy it must bring you!

Kristina said...

Ok, so this post brought me very close to tears. I'm so happy for you in the communication breakthrough! Ethan just blows me away - I think how far he's come just since we met (virtually, that is)!

Oh, and Julia who is almost 3.5 has been coming into our room every night. I think it's bad dreams. This just started within the last week. Very strange. Maybe it is an age thing.

leah said...

Thank goodness for the magic of sleep! It is good for all of you. Ethan seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. I've heard night terrors are quite common (we have yet to experience it with our kids, but Nolan doesn't sleep through the night anyway without coming into our room). Let's hope that is a phase that passes by quickly!

Kyla said...

Go Ethan! This is all great news, Heather!

Sienna's mom said...

Hi Heather,
I'm new to the Blogger thing and I don't know exactly how to email you so I decided to leave a comment instead. As I read your post, excitement sets in because I know that we are not far from all the communication development. Can't wait!
Thank-you for the comment. I have checked out the other blogs with children with CMV and I have yet to check out the CI circle on Yahoo. Thanks again!
Jenny

Beck said...

Sleep terrors are one of the freakiest parts of parenting little kids.
Hooray for communication!

Cheryl said...

Hi Sweetie,
That is such great news about Ethan's progress. He is as cute as ever. I think it makes so much sense about getting a good night's sleep and making more progress. He is a little guy who has had so little good night's sleep, as has his parents.

F.Y.I. Hannah had nightmares before the clondine, but they stopped while she was using it. I hope the same goes for Ethan.

So glad you had a GREAT time on your trip. You deserved it, good for you for doing something just for you.
XXXXXXX

R@T said...

I think it's the cat. Look at the way that he carries Nico around. They are all aliens and the cat is now programing E-Boy to do his bidding. Beware the Feline fiends. My love to Zola as well.

She said...

He's such a cutie patootie all ham-ing it up and all!

So glad to hear of his progress!