Saturday, January 10, 2009

New Beginnings

Home.

We've been busy getting settled and finding our groove in our new location. There are days when I look around and just can't believe that we live in this house. It's such a good feeling to look out the windows into the woods and imagine Ethan growing up here. I've longed to put down our roots for 5 months and now we can begin to sink into this place. I haven't taken any of it for granted for a moment. We are truly blessed. 

Our new home is 5 minutes away from the newest (and nicest) campus of the children's hospital. They have everything there so we're moving Ethan's therapies and a few of his clinic visits with doctors to this location. I used to drive 1.5 hours each way for his speech and 1 hour each way for his OT and PT and now it's all within a few miles of our home. Unreal!

We're about 20 min. from Ethan's school. Right now we are transporting him ourselves, but in the future when he's a bit bigger we'll have our new school district do the driving. Our new school district which on Thursday agreed to pay to send him to the deaf school! Yes! That news is still sinking in. I have been in battle mode since June, so this is fairly life-changing for our family. The fight is over. For now. 

There's no question that a deaf child with apraxia should be sent to a school that specializes in teaching communication. The issue has been and will always be about money. It's sickening to me that a child born and raised in a less affluent community isn't given a fair shot to meet their potential. I could blog about my passion for school funding on a separate blog and have a new post every day! Teaching in a rural and impoverished school district made this a sore spot for me, but having a child with disabilities has turned it into a gaping wound. 

The IEP meeting was actually enjoyable. They had 3 people at the table and we brought Ethan's teacher from the school for the deaf as well as the director of the program he attends. We rewrote the goals from the last IEP as he has made so much progress since August. How about that! We only came to a impasse when I asked for a one on one aide for Ethan. They said they would look into it but that it was unlikely they would be able to provide one. I'm not surprised and I'm not going to let it take away from the victory that we achieved through this move! 

I'm off to meet an old friend for lunch. Life is pretty swell these days for this family. I hope it is for yours as well. 

15 comments:

leahlefler said...

I love your new house! It is so cute! We back up to the woods and our boys love it, briars and all. And a big YIPPEEEE! for the school district's decision to fund Ethan's education at the deaf school. Sounds like 2009 is going to be a pretty good year!

Drew's Mom said...

So happy for you all!

Dave said...

Your house is beautiful. I am excited that my buddy Ethan is putting roots down near the woods. As a boy I lived near a forest and spent many hours doing "boy" stuff. Pretending to be living or lost in the woods, even though I could see my house 100 yards away. I am happy for you guys!
Warmest,

David

KC said...

It's gorgeous and perfect and everything is as it should be.

Cheryl said...

Heather,
I have been thinking about you all! You new house is so beautiful. I hope you post more pictures.
I'm thrilled about the IEP meeting and the fact that Ethan will be going to the Deaf School. Prayers really do come true. I'm just so happy for all of you, I could do a cartwheel. Now that would be scary!
Love,
Cheryl

Tom's mum said...

The house is beautiful - yes more pictures please!! We are so happy for you all and especially that the funding has worked out for his school. What a great way to start the new year.
Nickyxx

Lisa said...

So many wonderful blessings to start off the new year. I am so happy for you guys. You certainly deserve it!!

Kyla said...

Everything sounds so WONDERFUL! I'm so thrilled for you guys!

Laurie said...

Your new home looks beautiful and I am so excited that Ethan is finally getting what he needs! Now you can just relax in your new place and just be a family without the extra stress and worry. May 2009 be a blessed year for you all with new beginnings!

She said...

Jumping up and down up and down up and down over here for all this wonderful news!

Lovely house!

jen said...

how gorgeous. and you sound so happy.

that makes me happy too.

Loudest Mom said...

I am SO happy for you all :) I found myself smiling just reading this post.

therextras said...

Sharing in your joy!

Barbara

Here It Comes said...

What a relief to have it all resolved now. I am so happy for you!

Connor's Mom said...

What a beautiful house-- and congrats on winning your fight to give Ethan the education he needs! We are probably going to start the same battle in a few weeks for our son, and we will do anything we need to, including moving to a new school district, to make it happen. I'm really hoping that things will go well for us-- it's inspiring to see that there are other families out there who have gone through the same thing and come out on top.

~Jess