Wednesday, September 03, 2008

6 Reasons to Celebrate






#1 Ethan LOVES his new school, he is at the school for the deaf here and it's amazing how well he is taking to it. He's a new kid! He signs so much more often and has been seen initiating social interactions at school! We have never witnessed Ethan engaging, much less initiating interaction with a peer, so we're THRILLED! He is starting to follow directions! The other day he wanted to show Rich and I the circle in his classroom, so he took us over and showed us while signing "sit", then he sat down. On the way out of the building he likes to sign "eat" as we walk by the cafeteria and "ball" as we head past the gymnasium. This level of  communication is totally new for our family and I think being immersed in a sign language environment is the Main Ingredient. Finally, after 3 years, my son is finding his "voice"! There just aren't words for it.

Of course we're still dealing with the public school here and I've written and submitted a letter of appeal. I linked to it over on the sidebar just in case any readers find themselves in need of a template. It took a long time and I'm hoping that we can help someone else in a similar situation. 

#2 I love our new babysitter. She is a young woman who happens to be profoundly deaf, so she and I have been emailing, but I've also been holding my own in our signing conversations, which feels pretty amazing. She's wonderful and Ethan also loves her! 

#3 I'm taking ASL classes at Ethan's school. My teacher works there and though she is hearing, she is a fairly fluent signer with 20 years experience. This is a great opportunity and our babysitter is making it possible (Rich is usually out of town on the night of my class).

#4 I just attended my 20 year high school reunion and am still flying high from the feelings that accompany being reunited with some of the most important and memorable relationships in my life. Can't beat it. 

#5 My birthday is Saturday and Rich is taking me to a weekend getaway (for a wedding) on Cape Cod. Rich and I haven't had that much alone time since Ethan's birth, which has been even tougher for us as we've been under some intense stress. It will be awesome :-)

#6 My parents spent last weekend watching Ethan and a great time was had by all. Those are pics from their trip to the zoo; apparently the polar bear was really putting on a show.


16 comments:

flutter said...

This post rocks. Period.

Drew's Mom said...

Awesome! So glad to hear things are going well...

Are those pics from the Cincinnati Zoo? They have polar bears? We'll be making the drive south...

Hetha said...

Yes! Cincinnati Zoo, absolutely worth the trip!

Mom to Toes said...

Heather, I am SO happy to hear how well things are going!

I love that Ethan is making friends and enjoying school. That is so awesome!

I hope the school cooperates. It is so obvious he is where he needs to be. They need to pony up and face that fact.

Kyla said...

I am SO HAPPY! I'm kind of in a funk because KayTar's hearing test yesterday showed even more significant loss, but this post was like an inoculation of happiness!

I hope your appeal goes off without a hitch!! I'm so glad he's thriving, Heather!

Laurie said...

Wonderful post! You sound happy! Glad Ethan is doing so well!

Did you get my email? I'm coming your way soon and would love to meet up with you & your E-boy if you are available. :)

I am Trish Marie said...

Isn't it great what the right environment can do? I am so happy to hear that he is doing well there.

leahlefler said...

How totally, wonderfully awesome! There is NOTHING better than hearing (or seeing) what your child is thinking about. Friends, a new voice, and a wonderful school! This post brightened my day!

The Cincinatti Zoo looks awesome. We just visited the Cleveland zoo (closer to us), but the polar bear exhibit at Cincinatti rocks!

KC said...

Dude. Awesomeness all around.

I hope this weekend ROCKS THE HOUSE.

Ambulance Mommy said...

Hi, I found your blog through Julie's!

Just wanted to say Happy Birthday! It's my birthday this weekend too....

Can you tell me how you found your babysitter who speaks in sign? We are trying to find a day care and/or babysitter who uses sign for our son, but we aren't having much luck.

Hetha said...

Hi ambulance mommy (very curious about that name!)

Do you have a deaf school in your area? That's how we found our sitter. I asked the receptionist in the office of my son's school and she gave me the name and email address of our sitter. I made contact initially through email as she is not able to use a phone and we don't have a video phone yet. We now rely on text and email for communication.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

An amazing letter . . . very thoughtful, and clear. you guys have obviously done your homework.
Love the pics, love you guys, Misha

marylee said...

dang good thing I don't wear mascara anymore.

Eileen said...

This post makes me so very happy Heather! Things are totally going in the right direction. I love, love, love hearing about Ethan and his new school. He is really rocking!
The pictures are very cool. What a great zoo!

XXXXXXX

She said...

Great post, Heather! I got all choked up reading about Ethan's signing and showing you two around his school! Beautiful!

My 25 year high school reunion is next summer and the planning has already begun. I keep getting all sorts of emails! It goes by fast, huh?

Happy Birthday, dear friend!

Hope you and Rich had a wonderful trip!

Karen said...

Happy Birthday to you!