Thursday, September 04, 2008

Intensity

I spent the better part of the day today dealing with an advocate and making strategy changes to this conflict with the public school. She is intense and high strung and I'm, NOT. So I have been trying not to absorb too much of that frantic energy but it has been difficult and this whole process is starting to get the best of me. I'm starting to feel like things are going to go from amicable and friendly to aggressive and adversarial. I am a peace-maker personality, so willingly entering into this state of mind is a tough choice. 

But I'll settle for nothing less than what is appropriate for Ethan's education. 

As I prepare to take Ethan to bed, I'm smiling at this thought:

At my high school reunion last weekend Rich was wearing a name tag that said that he married me. In the bathroom a man he doesn't know or remember approached him and read his name tag, then responded "You got a real live one! Free-spirit!"

Now I just need to channel that firecracker to deal with the challenges of the day and all will be well in my world. 

7 comments:

Aliki2006 said...

I love that comment!

Good luck channeling the energy--I know it's hard when personalities clash!

Julie said...

Heather,

Just read your IEP-Appeal letter.

WELL DONE!!!

And I love your 10 reasons to celebrate, below. Ethan is blessed to have you :0)

Julie

flutter said...

I love it. LOVE IT.

jen said...

you are absolutely a real live one.

absolutely.

Lotta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eileen said...

Happy Birthday Heather!! I hope you have a wonderful time on your special trip.

The IEP-Appeal letter is excellent. Hang in there, it sucks that you have to go though the appeal, but it is worth it.

Keep us posted!
XXXX

She said...

Hey, did you have a birthday? You must send me your mailing address, PLEASE. I want to send you something!

And, I'm sorry things are so complicated. But I have no doubt that you will be able to channel the "firecracker" that is you and make this work for Ethan and for your family.

Praying for you!

Blessings.