Saturday, August 02, 2008

Lots to Love


Thanks for the hat Aunt Audrey!


Ethan and his mama!

We're all pretty happy around here these days. It just seems like there is absolutely nothing to complain about anymore :-)

Ethan is developing like crazy lately with his new interest in food and all the other groovy stuff he's doing. On Thursday he ate veggies in their pure form for the first time in his life! He had roasted carrots and green beans with olive oil and herbs, as well as grilled chicken! I watched him like a hawk the entire evening, worried that he would be sick or have reflux, but he kept it all down and had a decent night of sleep as well!

He also said the word "dance" several times this weekend! He loves it when we dance and usually just signs the word, but this time he signed it and said it. I was floored! I still am!

We have all kinds of appointments lined up for August and September, new therapists to meet and relationships to build. I'm excited, but I'm also homesick for Ethan's former OT and PT. His OT (hi Marylee!) would be so jazzed by this new love for food as she made it her mission to make him healthy foods that would appeal to his sensory requirements. I just know she'd be having a field day with this latest development.

I'm most enthusiastic about the appointment in October with a doctor in a metabolic clinic. Remember those labs I was talking about months ago? I stopped short of doing them because I wanted to do them under the direction of a doctor and there were none in Athens that knew what I was talking about. I've found the ideal clinic here that speaks that language and when I talked to the receptionist about Ethan she said "I'm so happy for you, you've found the perfect place for Ethan, we'll get to the bottom of his gut issues, you can count on it". I literally felt tears form in my eyes upon hearing that statement. She then said "I'm a mom, I know how important this is to you and I can assure you that you've found the right place".

My brain is on overdrive trying to process the school stuff and it seems each day that I flip-flop on where we should send him. I wish I could process it more fully here on the blog, but I have no idea if the school people are reading and though I have nothing to hide, I also know that everyone has their own agenda (myself included) and that this is in large part a game of strategy and semantics. I'm going to think about ways to talk about some of it here though since I have readers who I think could weigh in and offer a unique perspective.




19 comments:

flutter said...

all that cute in your house, everyday. How do you get anything done?

Kyla said...

There was a boy in KayTar's ophtho office last week who so reminded me of Ethan. I had to double take!

Email me anytime if you want to chat school stuff!

La La said...

You are killing us with CUTE! Both of you are just adorable!

Glad to hear all of the good news!

I don't know anything about choosing a school, but I'm rooting for you and praying for you guys!

Laurie said...

Wow! Sounds like things are going well in your household! You sound so happy and relieved!

marylee said...

Eating and dancing?! Turn it up and pass me a spoon!

Beck said...

He is SUCH a gorgeous boy!

KC said...

Yay, Yay, and Yay!

All good things. And love seeing you as always.

I've never heard of such a great receptionist. Clearly, she believes in where she works and that says alot.

Anonymous said...

It does my heart good to read your blog and see the wonderful pictures. You sound so optimistic and happy.

He'll be talking soon, Heather. Once the words begin, you won't be able to keep up.

Grandma Innis

Shiloh said...

I am so glad things are looking up for you guys. Finding caring professionals who are genuinely interested in your child is so key. I hope everyone exceeds your expectations. Congrats on the eating veggies thing! There are are still some veggies Isaac won't eat. His favorites are broccoli and cucumbers. All others are hit or miss (mostly miss). You are one amazing lady Hetha! You have the patience of a saint!

jen said...

look at you, pretty woman.

and he's a juicy peach.

I am Trish Marie said...

Go Ethan!!

It sounds like this move has been absolutely wonderful for you. What peace of mind to have doctors that you can work with. And did you ever think you would have to be choosing between schools because they each had something to offer??

leahlefler said...

Good luck with making your school decision! With a mama like you, Ethan will prosper wherever he goes. And I am still jealous over his gorgeous hair. My kids are nearly bald until they hit 18 months, lol!

Anonymous said...

I can not believe you are in town and my rhythm is so off (and my schedule so full) that I'm having a hard time imagining how we will cross paths. Know that you guys are on the top of my list(wish list). I love you both so much, Misha

Loudest Mom said...

What a fantastic post ! It sounds as though everything is heading in the right direction. Ethan makes an adorable fireman, btw.

Good luck with the school decision. It can be a tough one- just trust your inner voice, and all will be well :)

Aliki2006 said...

I love that picture of the two of you--so good to see you!

It sounds like you ARE so happy and that things are falling into place well. Good luck with school!

Eileen said...

I am glad, thrilled that things are going so well. You deserve for things to go well, it has been such an up and down ride.

You look so beautiful and Ethan gets cuter every single second.

XOXOXOX

La La said...

Hey, Just checking in to see how you guys are, and of course, I HAD to SEE these adorable pictures AGAIN to get my FIX!

Eileen said...

Ok, really dumb (and shows how bad I am at cooking) how do you roast them? Best way? Seasonings?

Thanks for the input. I hope you have fun at the reunion. Mine was in our High School Cafeteria, with the school food. Classy.

Everytime I look at that picture of Ethan (any picture) it is like a blast of sunshine.

XXXXXXx

R@T said...

Happy Birthday to the man! Miss you all!