Friday, July 11, 2008

The Land of Options

The View from our living room.

We're here and almost totally unpacked. It has been quite a week! Rich was in D.C. for work this week and returns late tonight, so Ethan and I were exploring our new town on our own. I couldn't have survived the week without the Garmin GPS. We've been all over the place and I've never felt lost, and this place is huge!

Ethan had his first speech therapy appointment yesterday and it went really well. He did a great job and his therapist and I had a very interesting conversation about the offerings of the public preschool class here versus St. Rita. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but it's actually going to be a tough choice. This public program is spectacular and they've offered an interpreter which could also serve as an extra pair of hands to keep Ethan safe outside of the classroom. They want to write a health plan for him that encompasses his allergies and the use of his eppy-pen. The nurse will write the program and train the teacher and aids on his needs! None of this was offered in Athens. The OT here wants to create a sensory profile and deal with his sensory integration; Athens qualified him for OT but prepared no goals and offered no services. The level of professionalism is such a departure from what I'm used to in Southeast Ohio that it is stunning.

We are meeting with the school system on July 22nd for a play-based observation, then we'll schedule the formal IEP meeting. Rich and I have a lot to think about between now and then.

Bringing Ethan to a place with resources, both economic and human, is the best thing we could have done for him. It never crossed our minds that we'd be stuck having to choose from a pool of terrific educational options. It's simply amazing.

And I've had Thai carry-out for dinner 3 times this week!





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are in a good place and that Ethan has so many options.
I love you.
You had Thai 3 times???
I totally and completely hate you.- m

Anonymous said...

How fantastic, I love the fact that you have options, I love the fact that people seem to understand what Ethan needs. What a great start.

3 Thai takeouts (we call them take aways :))....city life sounds good.

Nicky (Tom's mum)

Mom to Toes said...

Awesome! I don't know what's better. The therapy or the Thai take out.

It's too close to call. ;)

Kyla said...

Awesome! I am so thrilled for you and E. Options...that's a great thing.

flutter said...

therapy and thai, a fabulous combination

Eileen said...

I could not be happier for you and Ethan. It sounds like you could not be in a better place. So glad the first therapy session went to well.

I know you will make the right choice about the school. What a nice place to be, deciding between 2 good schools, that really "get it." Big smile.

The view is so pretty. I am glad you are enjoying exploring your new world.

Have a great weekend.

XOXOX

Laurie said...

Looks and sounds like you are in a great place!!!!!

And I love Thai food, too! We have a very good Thai restaurant here if you ever come visit!

Glad Ethan is doing well and will continue to do so!

Anonymous said...

And to think I felt concern about your being nearly two hours away. I should've known better. You guys are great parents with a superb little guy. The dreams and plans will pay off.
Love you!
Grandma

Aliki2006 said...

I'm sorry, but I too focused on how envious I was that you had Thai carry-out three times/row...!

I am so glad things are looking so positive--the excitement you must feel really shines through!

Hooray! Here's to a new chapter in your new place!

I am Trish Marie said...

Now that sounds more like it! Emmi's school offers much the same. I actually think the public school out here offers more than the School for the Deaf here. And, I don't have to drive across town to take Emmi to school!

La La said...

NOT ENOUGH CAN BE SAID ABOUT THAI CARRY OUT FOOD!!!

As for the GPS, I almost threw mine out the window a few weeks ago. Glad it worked out for you.

Love the view. Thanks for the email this week. You have no idea how much I needed it.

leahlefler said...

I am SO jealous over the Thai food! It sounds like you are exactly where you need to be with all the services available to Ethan- you can't go wrong! Both the public system and St. Rita's seem amazing- I think it would be so hard to choose when both offer so much.