Saturday, May 31, 2008

Keeping it together.

Ethan saw one of his audiologists last week in Cincy and performed quite well in the sound booth. He has had his 2nd cochlear implant for only 6 months and can now hear with that side as well as with the right side. He hears down to 20 db, which is truly miraculous if you ask me. The last time I checked there were only 1300 people nationwide with bilateral implants and two thirds of them were children. Ethan will be part of the research that informs surgeons and hospitals everywhere that bilateral surgery is not so risky and is actually a good thing.

We haven't sold our house yet. We've shown it 24 times in 2 weeks and have heard some feedback indicating that the people who are the most interested are also feeling a bit sheepish about a certain aspect of our floors, even though the structure that is our foundation appears to be in fine shape. Without getting into the details, let me just say that it has made for an emotional roller coaster, and we've been on that ride for nearly 3 years anyway and are ready to see it END. 

Ethan has to start school on August 18 if he's to attend the class at St. Rita. The world will not end if he is not there next year, I know this, but my hopes have been building on it for so long that I fear what will happen to me if this doesn't come together.

Somehow in the midst of the chaos Ethan has decided to experiment with a defiant and explosive personality. In my usual coping style I've been reading a book called The Explosive Child and have sufficiently worked myself into a neurotic frenzy over his cognitive abilities to problem solve situations. I've learned a lot of useful information from the book, but I have little faith that any of the suggestions will actually work with Ethan. The communication barrier is coming into play in significant ways now and a huge part of the problems we see are due to his lack of language skills.

I know he is also just a 2 year old and is in many ways just a typical little boy. It's not helpful though when I'm getting head butted in the face or bitten and kicked. At one time I would have been really embarrassed by the looks we get when he acts this way publicly, but now I just want to scream out to people for help. This kid is really teaching me a thing or two about my own patience threshold and ability to deal with stress.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.


------------------------------------------
I've developed google reader phobia (thanks for the term slouchy) and have not been able to visit or comment on your sites. I'm certainly thinking of you though.

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

((((HUGS)))) I hope it all comes together for you soon...it sounds like you have a very full plate!!
That's great news about Ethan's testing, though. It sounds like he's finally gotten the hang of that second implant and is doing well with it...hooray!!

flutter said...

thinking of you, too.

David said...

Amazing results on Ethan's audiogram! I am thrilled.
As far as his antics go, he is just being two and announcing to the world how awesome his new hearing is!
Don't fret the house selling, there is a buyer for every house!
Thanks for updating us. We do think of you guys often!
David

slouching mom said...

i can't believe how amazing those testing results are! you must be over the moon.

as for his behavior, he's two. so i expect that "this too shall pass." keeping my fingers crossed...

...and leaving them crossed while thinking happy house thoughts for you.

Kyla said...

Good news on the ears! That's great news!

KayTar is giving me trouble, too, although not in the same ways. It is so hard to discipline effectively with a language barrier. KayTar talks a ton, but because there are big gaps in her understanding, I feel like my hands are tied at times.

Good luck on the house stuff. St. Rita's needs your little guy! :)

Laurie said...

Congratulations on Ethan's test results! I will agree that going bilateral makes a huge difference! :)

Hope your house sells soon. . . so your life can return to "normal". . . whatever that is!

Laurie

KC said...

Do you read Rimarama? She buried a statue of a Saint and it worked! Their house (hut) finally sold!

Just remember that Ethan's behavior will get better. It's a crappy age. I've definitely been there...

good luck!!!

Eileen said...

Heather,
I am so thrilled to hear about Ethan's testing. What good news.

Sounds like he's at that age now, where the fun begins. The good news is that it does pass.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you with the house. I know it will sell soon. Hang in there!!

XOXO

leahlefler said...

Wow- you certainly have a lot going on! Sending happy house-selling thoughts your way!

Its amazing how much a communication barrier can make life very frustrating. Matt's speech is starting to come along, but we have many, many moments where we are driven to *this* side of crazy because of it. Many people I've talked to have said that three is quite a tough age- not sure if I look forward to it! These same people also say that four is fabulous... I hope they're right!

Good luck and good wishes!!!

Drew's Mom said...

I think Ethan is acting very much like a THREE year old! Drew's Sister just turned three and our sweet little girl has taken a turn...sounds like Ethan is very age appropriate! :)

Good Luck on selling the house. The market is tough, but with all the improvments you made, I'm certain it will sell! You still have several months before school starts, and worst case, maybe you commute a bit? You'll make it work - you always do!

I am Trish Marie said...

Great news on the audio!

I read that same book when my oldest was about three (and Emmi was just born). I was convinced that she was going to grow up to be a terror, so I started the book. I ended up deciding the book was actually better suited to me! And it turns out, Jill was just having typical subling rivalry behavior....

Loudest Mom said...

Moving is so stressful- I hope things go very smoothly and that one of the people who have looked at the house (or will soon) will fall in love with it.

It is so good to hear how well Ethan is doing w/ both implants :) Gotta love 2 and 3 year olds......I've definitely been there-LOL.

Hang in there,
Melissa

Aliki2006 said...

You know I completely understand...it's tough--hang in there.

But hooray for those results!

Kellan said...

I too, hope that things start coming together soon! And, as for Ethan's new personality - just take it one day at a time and do the best you can - a lot of it is age and you just have to live through it.

I've thought a lot about you lately. Good luck with everything - I'll keep you in my prayers.

See you soon - Kellan