Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hair Fun!

The "Tele-Evangelist" Look.

When cabin fever really starts to take up residence, I play with Ethan's hair. And as luck would have it, he has great hair and doesn't mind my antics. Staying home with a toddler in the winter is enough to make me consider some therapy of my own, and I'm not talking about speech or physical therapy.

Here we have him wearing a very sweet little red barrett. I trimmed his bangs this week, bye-bye cute hair accessories.

The "Gender Identity Disorder" Look.

Seriously though, life isn't really as boring for us right now as it seems. We've been working behind the scenes on some pretty major changes that I can't reveal just yet, but I can say that it's tremendously exciting. And unnerving.

Ethan has been working overtime on his alphabet. It's so thrilling to see our 2 year old (who is deaf!) develop pre-reading skills. He signs letters as he sees them in his environment, I've even seen him sign the letters of a word in one of his books. And the speech is still developing around these letters. I heard a perfect "G" yesterday and an "M" today. He's getting the "Z" and working on the "T" today. He doesn't babble or really say any words, just the letters of the alphabet. It's a very unique approach to speech, one that actually makes quite a bit of sense when you think about it.

He has been learning numbers and signs 1-10, having a little trouble with 6-8 due to the dexterity that he has yet acquired. But he recognizes and signs these numbers appropriately. The grocery store had become very difficult until one day I realized that he was looking up at the signs hanging above the isle to see the number and sign it. The anticipation of the numbers around the next corner got us all the way through the store without incident. Nice!

Ethan is also indicating that he loves to hear as much as he loves to sign. The coil on his head (magnetically held there to transmit sound) often falls or gets knocked off during the course of his day. Now I can count on him to run to me, take my hand, and place it near his ear to ask for help in replacing the coil. It's only a matter of time before he learns this skill himself, but for now I'm happy to be his assistant.

These are exciting times, not just in this household, but all over this country. Change is in the air. Do you feel it?

27 comments:

Kellan said...

That little Ethan should be in commercials - REALLY - he is so adorable and just has the sweetest look about him! I'm so glad his signing and learning are coming along so well - that is great and it is an exciting time indeed! Take care Hetha - hug that sweet boy for me. Kellan

diber said...

He does have awesome hair!!

I totally know what you mean about the grocery store and signs. There has got to be some research out there out prelingually deaf 2yo's obsessed with signing letters. LOL.

KC said...

Okay- love the hair-do's.

Your title reminds me of a favorite Chinese food dish.

LOVE how he comes right to you to replace the coil. Oh, man.

Kyla said...

E is just too cute. TOO CUTE!

KayTar similarly loves the grocery signs. She started with the numbers/letter/shape of the signs and now she's reading them. Crazy kids. LOL.

And KayTar was the same with her ear when it falls out. "Fix-a MY EAR." It took her a while to get there, though.

jen said...

he is SO freaking cute.

flutter said...

change, indeed

Eileen said...

Heather,
Love the new pictures of Ethan. He looks totally game for your hair fixing fun. I laughed a lot, with some of those cool hair styles. He is one cool and handsome kid. He gets cuter everytime I see a picture of him.

He is making such good progress with the signing and the numbers and letters. How exciting is that!!! I think he is one little guy that does not miss much, you can just see it, in those beautiful eyes.

Take care. Talk to you soon.
Love you.

furiousBall said...

haha, i love the tele-evangelist look

leahlefler said...

He's so cute! I wish my kids had hair like that- Matthew was bald until he was 2!!

Hey, how are you introducing letters to Ethan? Matt-man is also completely lacking in the speech category and loves letters. He only knows a few (will point to them when asked). We got the official report from EI and he has a mild receptive (he was NOT answering her questions, lol), moderate expressive (six words) and severe articulation (at a 12 month old level). No definite diagnosis of apraxia- we'll see what happens in time.

Aliki2006 said...

I feel it, I feel it!

I love the hair--especially the first picture!

Laurie said...

Love the hair! I used to wash and blow dry my son's hair when he was Ethan's age!

Glad to hear the vocabulary and reading is coming along! The "Z" sound is the hardest and most frustrating letter/sound for me to say! It takes time but E boy is doing great!

Spring will be here soon! Hang in there!

I am Trish Marie said...

I wish I could get Emmi to work on letters! But colors...oh colors. She loves them. Knows them all. Signs and says them. Everywhere we go there is a chorus of, "PINKREDGREENBLUEBLACKBROWNWHITEPINKPINKYELLOW!"

And now, Emmi can get the coil back on quicker than I can! Also, she learned how to change the batteries herself! I never actually taught her. I just caught her in the kicthen changing them. It is good I suppose, because she knows when they are losing power hours before it signals low battery.

Don Mills Diva said...

Oh that's wonderful that he's making so much progress - he is the sweetest little thing I ever did see...

Loudest Mom said...

I feel it! (the change that is :) I thought I was the only slightly disturbed mom who put barrettes in her little boy's hair -LOL. Used to be one of my favorite indoor activities, and mine doesn't even have the curls.

Jennifer said...

Awright...more pictures! He is just adorable, Heather! I love those curls...the kid has awesome hair!
I'm thrilled that he's picking up his letters, too...that's progress!

Sarah said...

Beautiful hair!!!!

He is doing so well! I am so happy for you him!

Go Ethan!

Kellan said...

Hi Hetha - nice to see you today. Hope you are having a good week - hope Ethan is too! Take care - Kellan

truth said...

What an exciting time for Ethan. And yes, he has lovely hair. Now that our Ethan is 5, my daughter cuts it short, except for the top. But the top isn't long enough for those lovely curls anymore. Gosh I miss those curls.

Kellan said...

Have a great weekend Hetha - see you later. Kellan

Nicky said...

How cute. Tom was looking at your blog with me and said "there's a picture of Tom". I explained that it's a little boy called Ethan, we scrolled down and when he saw ethan's processor and coil he was so excited "he has ears like mine, look look".
Nicky xx

I am Trish Marie said...

FYI the Neigborhood Sounds Bingo is made by Cranium under their Bloom line. It is great. I was worried that the sounds would not be clear enough for her to distinquish, but it was great. She loves the game.

The same line also makes some little notebooks that are checklists (by picture and word) for grocery stores, the zoo, the park, etc. That was something our thrapist recommended having to help Emmi build vocabulary. I bought the grocery store one for Emmi to use on our shopping trips.

Beck said...

The Gender-Identity-Disorder picture made me burst out laughing... he has gorgeous hair.

slouching mom said...

ethan is so totally adorable.

btw, i read the book you recommended. he's a lovely writer.

Tys on Ice said...

lil Ethan looks totally adorable...funny thing is tht i took my son ( 4 yr old) for a hair cut...he ended up with on of those spiky hairdo which the hairdresser very gracefully colored...

sometimes i feel as if a big hand is squeezing my heart whn i look at him...felt the same way whn i saw Ethan...

Jen said...

YAY Ethan! Kudos on the progress. He's so cute, love the hair pictures.

La La said...

Love the hair. You're too funny!

Eagles' Wings said...

This is my first time visiting your blog.

I love the Tele-Evangelist look. His curls...Oh my! Its so cute.