Sunday, February 03, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I’m finally on the mend and feel like joining the human race, even bathing and basic hygiene sound like something I can handle again. I’ve been so fortunate the past few years to be healthy and totally free of even the smallest of bugs, so I guess I really had it coming. My mom came up and helped take care of Ethan and I since Rich was in D.C. last week. She cooked and cleaned and played with Ethan so that I could rest. I just like having her around and hated to see her leave.

Rich is home and came bearing a few gifts that keep on giving. For me it was a box of truffles that wouldn’t have tasted good last week but now are starting to be very addictive. Ethan scored a cool new book, a play mobil farm set, and his personal favorite, wall decals of the characters from Cars. He has taken great delight in putting them on his walls, dresser, and bedroom door. He takes several breaks from play throughout the day to spend time gazing at the large sticker of Mater and Lighting McQueen that hang above the pillows on his bed. He is slower to close his eyes for naps now that Ramone and Doc smile over from their corner of the room.

I can see how easy it would be to truly spoil your children since seeing their happiness can be totally intoxicating. I guess the key is to elicit such joy more from life than from things.

There is a very clean Honda with sparkling windows and a full tank of gas waiting to be driven again. The poor girl has been neglected as I have chosen to contain my illness to our home and have been canceling one appointment/therapy session after another. Tomorrow morning Ethan and I will make the long trip to the city where he goes for speech therapy and I will watch through the glass as his wonderful therapist works her magic. She has a very positive outlook and is always so cheerful and optimistic about our boy. In a strange way it’s like therapy for me too. I need to be reminded.

17 comments:

slouching mom said...

I'm really glad that you're feeling better. What a doozy of an illness THAT was.

I agree -- watching a child happy -- there's nothing like it.

jen said...

you sound very happy, well loved and cared for. i am so very happy about that. and that you are feeling better too.

Mom to Toes said...

So glad to hear you are on the mend! I hear this particular bug is REALLY tough to get over.

I love that Ethan is into Cars. It has become a fave of Toes lately, although she has only read a board book version of the movie. I am afraid to buy the DVD. ;) It is bad enough that she won't touch a fruit snack that isn't in a Cars wrapper. Haha!

La La said...

Yummy! Truffles! Glad Rich is back and that you are all getting back to your routine!

Stickers are GREAT! I love them, too! I don't think we ever get too old for stickers!

Joy. Joy. Joy.

Have a good week.

Jen said...

I think Speech Pathology is so amazing. It's miraculous watching what they can do with kids.

Glad you are feeling better!

flutter said...

it's so good to see you!

Jeff said...

Glad you're feeling better!

My boy Pierce, who's gonna be 3 in about 6 weeks, loves Cars stuff too. This past Christmas my sister gave him some Lightning McQueen slippers. He has started "racing" around the house in them lately. He often falls asleep surrounded by Cars paraphernalia.

KC said...

Glad you are both getting your therapy!

I agree, watching magic unfold in your child's eyes is what this mommy business is all about.

Beck said...

There is nothing quite so joyous as feeling well again after being sick, isn't there?
I hope that everyone has a fun week.

Kyla said...

So glad you are feeling better!

We've been through what feels like months of therapy cancellations. Makes me feel like a slacker! LOL! I'm always glad to get back to the routine of things, for both of us.

Aliki2006 said...

I'm glad you're back on your feet--I hate being wiped out like that.

And mmm....truffles!

Laurie said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Aren't moms great? My mom was a great help to me with our children when they were younger. I miss her and hope to be the grandma to our grandchildren that she was to hers.

And I'll be a grandma very very soon! And he is a BOY! (Haven't announced that yet on my blog!)

Loudest Mom said...

So glad you're feeling better! And, I hope you're enjoying your truffles :)

Kellan said...

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. We've had a lot of sickness going through my house lately too and we are all on the other side of it too - so nice when the end is in sight. Hope the week goes good for you Hetha - see you soon. Kellan

Jennifer said...

I'm glad you're feeling better...I've missed you :). It sounds like Ethan's enjoying himself...give him a hug from me!

Tom's mum said...

Glad you're feeling better. Our AV therapist has the same affect on us, we call it parent therapy!!

I won't tell Tom about the Cars stickers, he would be sooo jealous - Mater is his favourite.

Nickyxx

Eileen said...

I am so happy to see a post from you!! BIG SMILE!!! I am so glad you are feeling better. It must have been so nice having your mom around helping you out, taking care of Ethan (and you) when you were feeling so poorly and hubby was out of town. I bet your mom loved having all that extra time with Ethan.

Thanks for the food information. I did check into several years ago, but now I am going to seriously look into it. It makes so much sense.
XOXOXO