Friday, January 04, 2008

Ci Web Resource

I'd like to extend my most sincere thanks and gratitude to those of you who left comments on the last post about Ethan's new Ci. It amazes me that this blog has made it possible for me to "meet" people who are living through the cochlear implant experience as either parents or implantees themselves. I started the blog to keep our family and friends informed and a little over a year later I'm surprised and thrilled to see what has come of it.

And to my non-implant internet friends, I've been inspired and humbled by your continuous support and friendship.

Mom to Toes has shared a new resource with me that I'm rather impressed with and would like to pass along. It's a site called Cochlear World and not only does it touch on a wide variety of Ci topics, it also includes a link to a Ci Forum that looks like a really great tool for talking to others. The forum is newly launched and only a few of us have registered and introduced ourselves so I urge anyone interested to head on over and say hello.

Ci Circle is another resource that has been absolutely invaluable to our family over the past 2 years. The last time I checked, there were over 1200 parents (from all over the world) of Ci children registered there. It's a mailing list format though, which I find somewhat tedious and disorganized when compared to a message board with categories like the one I mention above.

****************************************************

It's the weekend and I'm ready to sit back and inhale some homemade choc. chip cookies. Just because the holidays are over doesn't mean we have to stop treating ourselves to the occasional treat does it?

13 comments:

diber said...

*hug* You have such a good attitude about resources like these. I still can't bring myself to look on CI forums. I feel like the weirdo. Don't know if that makes sense...

flutter said...

or not so occasional :)

I am excited to see how he adjusts to all of these changes and how his world will just open up

Hetha said...

diber, I totally hear you. I always feel like the odd mom out on CiCircle because I'm not all like "AV Therapy is the best thing in the world!"...and very few of parents advocate sign...yet I've always felt welcomed and respected by everyone regardless of our differences in parenting our Ci kids. It's a thing of beauty.

Aliki2006 said...

I'm planning on making a huge apple pie tomorrow--so no, the end of the holidays certainly doesn't mean the end of indulgences!

Paula said...

Heather, Ethan is a gorgeous boy! Congrats on the second implant. It does take some getting used to. My daughter and I are both bilateral now and it can take a while for the two ears to equalize out and feel like they're the same.

I'm glad I found your site and will include a link to it at HearingExchange.com.

Paula

Kellan said...

Hi Hetha - I hope Ethan is doing well and I hope you all have a great weekend. See you soon. Kellan

La La said...

Delicious! Chocolate chip cookies. I say, GO FOR IT!

Laurie said...

I look forward to keeping up with you and Ethan in 2008! Yes, I, too, started my blog for the same reason you did and it has evolved into a resource and connection with/for others. I'm amazed at how much the Internet has opened up the world for us (much like the railroad did in pioneer times).

P.S. Oatmeal cookies with butterscotch chips are my favorite! Crispy ones! I'm making two pies today, though.

KC said...

mmmm..cookies. Homemade. so jealous.

Eileen said...

I am so glad you found some new resources to check out and met some new friends to give support and information. I think it helps so much, you have good instincts on what you need or what to trust.

I think making cookies and treating yourself is the perfect idea. I wish I could be sitting and enjoying some with you. You deserve to treat yourself as much as possible!

So glad you found La La cause you two remind me of each other!

Have a great weekend!!

XOXOX

jen said...

i just wish i had more to offer you in way of help...but i am here in the cheering section, always.

Kyla said...

Give me some of those cookies. ;)

Lotta said...

I think it's fantastic that you did the implant. I know there is some controversy about it. But I'll tell you this. I'm almost deaf in my left ear and one of my New Year's eve resolutions was to get a hearing aide. My parent's opted to take me to sign language and lip reading classes instead of getting an aide.

I'm finally realizing how stressful it can be and how much energy it takes to participate when you can't hear everything.

You are giving Ethan a fantastic head start.