Tuesday, November 27, 2007

He's a happy hearing boy!

(peas in a pod, these two at the zoo.)

It has been one week since Ethan began hearing with his 2nd implant. He's doing really well and seems to be adjusting slowly but surely. He still protests each time we put it on, but it's very short-lived and he has not been removing it at all.

The new processor has very low settings right now, so we know that he isn't able to hear nearly as much with it as his first implant, but I'm already noticing him turning to sounds in the house that he would have previously ignored. I can see subtle changes in his attention and the fact that he is responding by turning his head to these sounds is a very good sign.

We've seen a lot of reflux in recent days. Ethan doesn't let it get to him too much, but he has several moments each day that have looked tentative and he has actually thrown up a few times as well. (I can't get the smell of vomit out of the rug, do you have any suggestions?) We haven't seen his reflux flare for this many days in a row since he has been on prevacid. I can't help but wonder if the new implant is somehow involved in the problem.

E-boy's balance looks much better today than it did one month ago. I can't tell you if that's just natural progression for him or if the new implant is at play here, but it's exciting to see these shifts. He now has the ability to run and is trying his best to learn how to jump. Aunt Audrey recently said to me "One day we didn't know if he would ever be able to walk, now we can't keep up with him!"

Ethan said his first consonant sound on Thanksgiving! His dad was the only one to hear it, but he said the letter C! Rich reports that he made the sound a few times, so we've been working on it all week in hopes of hearing it again. Whenever I tell one of his therapists about a new sound of Ethan's, I hear myself saying "who knows when we'll hear it again since he's so inconsistent." It's odd to me that these little pieces of progress don't stick in his memory, but that's a hallmark of verbal apraxia according to what I've been reading lately. How do you get it to stick?

So that's a wrap...I'm working on expanding the photos on this blog so stay tuned for more cuteness.

18 comments:

Eileen said...

He could not look any happier (or more adorable) in the picture!!! Thanks for the update on Ethan's progress, he has been in my thoughts a lot. I am so happy that he is making such good progress!! When you look back and see how far he has come, it really is so wonderful. He is going to continue to move forward from here.

Hope the reflux gets better! Poor little guy. I am struggling with a similar carpet problem here, after Sadie's weekend of sickness!! I am not having much luck either.

Have a good week. Love your new graphics.
XOXO

flutter said...

This makes me SO happy!

Anonymous said...

Love to both of you, Mia

MB said...

Try Nature's Miracle on the carpet. It's designed for pet accidents but works great on any yucky smell.

Kyla said...

I'm soooo glad he's doing better with it. I am so excited for you guys...but not about the refluxing. No fun at all. :(

Beck said...

YAY! And look how eager and excited he is - what a delight!

KC said...

His face is full of joy!

Maybe it's not reflux but dealing with vestibular issues or something related to the new auditory input? I have no idea but just guessing. Hopefully it will get better.

As for reflux, I know ALL about that.

Kellan said...

Really cute picture and he looks so happy. You have got to be happy, as I am so happy for the both of you. I'm glad he's doing so well and progress is going good. He is just the sweetest little boy - I just love him to death! Take care and see you soon. Kellan

Nikkicole said...

well im glad that he is paying more attention to sound and i suggest fabreeze to get the smell out umless you are up to scrubbing your carpets with a carpet scrubber

if you do want to use a carpet scrubber i sugest using murphys oil soap in it or old english because they work the best i think

Loudest Mom on the Block said...

Love the 'cuteness' :) I wish I had a wonder cure for the vomit on the carpet smell (we had a similar problem due to a vicious stomach bug last year). After numerous carpet cleaning, and lots of time the smell is now gone. It sounds like Ethan is doing great! Slow and steady wins the race (to use a cliche).
Take care,
Melissa

slouching mom said...

what a gorgeous, gorgeous picture!

Jennifer said...

Oh, Heather...I love his picture...he DOES look happy :) I'm glad that he's adjusting...I was worried about him. When is his next mapping session?
Poor fella...with the reflux (and poor Mom, having to clean it up!) You have my sympathy! I hope that's something that's going away with a little acclimation.
And I, for one, can't wait to see more pictures...he's just adorable :)

Ali said...

this is my first time here...wandered over from Beck's... how amazing for him and for you!! (i'm off to read your archives now...)

Hetha said...

Hi Ali, and Welcome! You're spot on, it's pretty amazing for all of us who know and love this little guy. What a gift!

Mom to Toes said...

Heather, that picture is pure bliss!

Wendy

CresceNet said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

BarbaraME said...

Heather - I'm so happy with Ethan's progress! Cuteness is absolutely correct.

Barbara in NH

Kellan said...

Hey - welcome back home. Hope all is well and Ethan is doing good. Take care - see you soon. Kellan