Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ethan's Eyes

Ethan’s World has a spiffy new look. My sweetie, also a graphic artist, put it together for me. My sweetie who works tirelessly at owning a small business and teaching part-time to provide for his family. My sweetie who worries about paying the bills, his son’s health, and his wife’s mental stability! My sweetie who is the best dad Ethan could ask for. Seriously, Ethan and I both hit the jackpot.

I took Ethan to see his local optometrist this week. She didn’t need to see him, but I felt the need to see her. I really trust this doctor and think she’s one of the best people on his team. She is the one who made the call to facilitate getting Ethan evaluated by an OT. She pointed me to the book which many refer to as the sensory integration bible. She noticed first (before the ophthalmologist) that he needed to be wearing glasses. She has had a huge impact on his life and the most amazing part about it is that we can drive 10 minutes to see her, not 2 or 3 hours.

Since Ethan has an ophthalmology visit the day before his surgery next week, I thought it would be best to get her opinion on the topic of surgery. The optho’s seem to be very pro-surgery and that makes sense because they are trained surgeons. She however is a developmental optometrist and has been cautious of the surgical path all along and has wanted to test all the options, using surgery as the final option. She is now endorsing surgery. Meeting and discussing a surgical procedure, less than 24 hours before another surgical procedure (albeit of much greater magnitude) isn’t ideal, but if it’s best for Ethan then it’s a no-brainer.

I imagine that my next post will be after his Ci surgery, which is scheduled for 11 a.m. on the 30th. I hope I have nothing but good news to report.

28 comments:

Sarah said...

First time visitor!

Just wanted to say good luck with Ethan's surgery. It sure helps to have a doctor you can trust!

slouching mom said...

Wow! Your site looks fantastic.

Just so you know, the "E" in Ethan isn't showing (on the sidebar profile).

I will be thinking of all of you over the next few days.

Hope it all goes well and smoothly.

xxoo

flutter said...

looks amazing, I am thinking of you and Ethan and I hope you have nothing but wonderful things to report

Oh, The Joys said...

Looks great!

Jennifer said...

I love the new look!! I canNOT believe that it's just five more days until Ethan's surgery...wow!!
I didn't know he had sensory integration disorder. My niece has it (big-time) so we have learned a lot about it over the past few years.
I'm so glad you have such a great relationship with Ethan's doctors...that's a very valuable partnership!
I have Ethan's surgery on my calendar...and am praying for him (and you!)

KC said...

Love the header! And good luck to Ethan- he will be a superstar as usual.

Tom's Mum said...

Hi Hetha
Thanks for visiting my blog :) I am so excited about getting a comment from you.

We will be thinking about all of you from over here on the 30th. I found the wait during Tom's second surgery a bit tough (I think Jason and I played cards to get the clock to tick faster)but it was worth it so hang in there.

Now I know why your blog always looks so cool. Your husband certainly sounds like a sweetie, maybe he and jason should swap tips on how to deal with worrying about their wife's mental stability (or instability in my case!!)
Nickyx

jen said...

i love the new look.

and i wish you all the best of luck on the 30th. all the best.

Kyla said...

Ooooh, looks GREAT!!

Good luck next week. We'll be thinking of you guys for sure.

Laurie said...

I love the new look! How creative!

Thank you for keeping us posted on Ethan. You are an inspiration to many!

Kellan said...

I love the new look!! And ... I hope you have nothing but good to report as well. You are always in my thoughts and prayers - as is the darling baby boy! God Bless you - take care. Kellan

Hetha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hetha said...

I deleted my own comment up there...oops.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers next week. We are sincerely humbled by the amount of support. Having you all in our corner really feels good.

xoxo
Hetha

Mrs. Chicken said...

Wow. Heather, I'm thinking of you guys.

ps - awesome new header!

Karen said...

Wishing you a smooth journey ahead!

Schmidts said...

Happy Halloweening and we are excited for your surgery 'cuz we are sure the results will be great! We will pray too,
Al and Jenny and Elliott and Fiona and Fritz

Kauan Tyler's Mom! said...

Heather, I'm so happy for you! It's great that Ethan is having his second implant soon!!
Please, keep us posted of how the surgery goes!!
We're all thinkng of you!!
Iz and Kauan!

Jeannette said...

Peace to you as continue down more paths.

Love the new look. :-D

Drew's Mom said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you and Ethan. Praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Eileen said...

Heather,
You and Ethan are in my thoughts and Prayers. Please update us when you can. I know it will all go smoothly. Can't wait until Ethan is home and is on the road to recovery!!!!
Take care of yourself.
XOXOXO

Abbie said...

Jennifer had a link on her blog. I clicked on it to reveal one of the cutest little pies I've ever seen. I have my ears, fingers and toes crossed that your lil man will come out of surgery like a champ. Would it be alright if I add you as a link to my blog?

jen said...

just checking in on you sister, on the Big Surgery Day!

I look so forward to hearing the good news. I hope all is well.

motherbumper said...

I love the banner (and your avatar rocks). I hope all goes well with the surgery.

Junie's Blog said...

Good luck!! I hope everything went well today!!(just visiting from Kyla's blog . . .)

Jennifer said...

Can hardly wait for updates...hope little Ethan came through with flying colors! :)

Tom's Mum said...

Hi there
We are all waiting to hear that Ethan is home again.
Nicky Jason and Tom xx

Jenny said...

I came over from Kyla.

Hope everything went great!

BarbaraME said...

Heather - you guys and especially Ethan are in my thoughts! I hope all went well yesterday.

Barbara in NH