Saturday, July 07, 2007

Happy Birthday America, Belated


Witness "The Farm", one of my all time favorite places to kick up my feet and truly unwind. Ethan was at Grandma and Grandpa's, giving mom some much needed time off with dad and close friends. We missed you Anne!





The drive from our home to the farm is a beautiful one, but not for the rider who easily becomes car sick. This region is part of the Appalchian foothills, there are steep, winding hills and it's surprisingly rugged terrain for Ohio. We snapped these pictures from the car, they're not great pics, but you get the idea. I felt an oddly comforting feeling by seeing these horses and an Amish farmer doing their work. Our society is so modern (us with our laptops, digital camera, and cochlear implants), that catching an occasional glimpse such as this helps trigger that feeling of connectedness to the Earth. It was sort of a perfect American moment actually.

4 comments:

Eileen said...

The farm looks so perfect! Who is the dog out front? It looks like total relaxation. The pictures were great, I really enjoyed seeing them, so beautiful....
A very special thank you for your comment, you have no idea how much it meant to me that day. It really meant the world to me. Thanks my friend. Enjoy the farm!! XOXO Cheryl

Laurie said...

That house looks like my grandparents' house. Both of them had farms and my family spent many hours there. It was a place of peace and tranquility. There is something special about driving down the country roads with fields of sky-high rows of corn. Sadly, I don't have those farms to go to anymore. But the memories are great. Thank you for sharing! And refreshing my memories again!

P.S. I'm taking a vacation ALONE at the end of this month and spending some time with my aunt in the country. I need it!

Heather said...

Eileen-
That dog is named Milo, he's a rescue that turned out to be a wonderful pet (sadly not our dog though). I'm glad my comment helped the other day, it was absolutely the truth.

Laurie-
This house belongs to our friends Brad and Anne, it has been in his family for several years. I think it was built in the 1870's. That Maple tree in the front yard is gorgeous and I didn't get a picture of the swing...pure Heaven. Have a wonderful vacation!

-Heather

Laurie said...

Heather,

I loved the swing in the big maple tree at my grandparent's farm. . .to this day I still love to swing in a good tree swing!

Will be "running away from home" to Ohio soon!

-L