Friday, June 01, 2007

First Popsicle!

Ethan experienced a child's rite of passage recently by enjoying his first popsicle. He made incredible faces during each bite (not good faces per se) but kept going back for more. Eventually the bottom half melted away and I gave him a spork to finish the job.

He is really starting to come out of the eating aversion haze that he's lived in for months. He has tried new foods and even added some to his repertoire. For instance, he now likes chicken nuggets, but only if they are homemade, which is ideal since they are healthier that way. Tonight I sliced sweet potato and fried it in butter to make it crispy (he loves that texture) and he gobbled it right up. That's the first time I can recall seeing him eat a vegetable. He still isn't into fruit unless it's dried or flavoring his yogurt. I've been amazed at his growth given the extreme dietary restrictions that he has placed on himself, with the help of a little acid reflux of course.

I have to hand it to Marylee, Ethan's OT, she is fabulous and a real sweetheart to boot. He wasn't eating like this until she came along and used her magic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
If there is a way to burn this blog, I would love to be one of its safe-keepers. Love, Misha

Laurie said...

Hello again! I love the new look! Looks like he is doing great. My boys were picky eaters, too. They lived on peanut butter, macaroni & cheese, and hot dogs for a lonnngg time and would sample a few bites of *new* food. They got better as they got older. Glad SuperBoy is trying new things!

Shiloh said...

Can Isaac join Ethan's club? Isaac is a picky eater too! No fruits or veggies for him. I have tried to disguise mixed veggies in everything from spaghetti to rice a roni and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Fruit is a huge challenge. Apples and watermelon are the only things he'll eat now...but that could change at any minute. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Give me some tricks if you've got em! I love the pool pics! Ethan is adorable!

Karen said...

Sweet potatoes fried in butter-- I'm coming right over! :) Ethan is such a cutie!