Monday, May 21, 2007

Calm in the Storm

I was recently talking to a good friend about Ethan and the struggles he has been facing. We had just dropped E-boy off at Grandma and Grandpa's house for the day so that we could head to the city and do some shopping. The conversation then turned to how lucky Rich and I are to have each been raised by such wonderful parents, and then to top it off we both got great in-laws. I mean what are the odds of that happening nowadays?

What struck me most about that moment was the realization that without these 4 people, how would we have made it through the emotional roller coaster that has been our lives for the last 2 years? As my friend pointed out, it's not only the support that we receive daily from our parents, but it's the fact that they have been there supporting us for our entire lives that makes us who we are today, strong and able to face adversity with courage.

I've received so much support by way of compliments from many people since Ethan was born. I have heard that I'm a strong woman, that I have been calm and deliberate in dealing with meeting Ethan's needs. These kind words have really made me feel good and helped keep me going on the days that I feel worn down or depressed.

But what really needs to be understood is that those compliments are indirectly meant for my parents. I was raised in an environment that was the perfect combination of discipline mixed with independence and unconditional love. Rich had the same experience of growing up in a loving, close-knit family and that background has been his rock as well.

Everyone gets knocked down in life. It's how quickly and easily you get back up that makes all the difference.

So to Chuck & Sarah and Gene & Jeanie, Rich and I thank you deeply from the bottom of our hearts.

5 comments:

Eileen said...

You are both very blessed, as is Ethan. What a beautiful tribute to some very special people. I see where you get your warmth and strength, that continues to pull you through. C

Anonymous said...

Oh Heather, that's absolutely beautiful. You're a sweetheart as is Richard, and you and he and Ethan deserve all the good and love that life has to offer. JAI

Anonymous said...

wow what a great day . . . to read something like this sure puts you in a great mood . . . and to see all the progress that ball of fire has made thanks to you and rich and the great support of family and friends . . . everything is possible!

god bless all!

GAI

Karen said...

What a great tribute!

Oh, The Joys said...

What a journey yours has been and how fortunate you are all at the same time.