Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Growling and Glasses...

We reached a pretty big milestone this week. Ethan is making his first attempts at imitating sound. I had incorrectly assumed that he would start by making the "ba ba" or "da da" sound, or something along those lines. Instead we've got a Bear! Whenever we sign the word "bear", he attempts to make a growling sound. It's barely audible, so you really have to be quiet in order to hear it, but it's getting a little louder and more gutteral each day. Needless to say this is super exciting to witness only 3 months after getting his implant activated.

Ethan is getting glasses! He is farsighted and has an astigmatism in each eye but it's much worse in the right eye, the one that keeps turning out. He's going to look pretty adorable in them, when he allows them to be on his face that is. We only caught glimpses of him in them at the office. She assured me that he'll realize how much better he can see with his glasses on and will want to wear them. I hope she's right. I'm a bit stressed about trying to keep his implant on over top of the glasses. It will be trying, but we'll get it through it I guess.

Ethan had a wonderful Christmas. He got to spend a week with Grandma and Grandpa Snedeker in Virginia. He's really enamored with dad, a real grandpa's boy. He just lights up when they're together. Not to say he doesn't love all of his grandparents, but there is something special between those two. Santa gave him a scooter that converts into a walker and he has been pushing that thing all over the house. His physical therapist was really impressed with his new walking skills. It won't be long before he's just taking off on his own. Grandma Snedeker taught him how to give kisses and so far she's the only one he gives them to!

Christmas at the Innis ranch was really fun. We got to see all of Ethan's cousins and aunts and uncles. His cousins are all very good with him, but Emily won the award for having the most patience with the cochlear implant. She was always on the ready when his implant would come off and did a fantastic job of getting it back on his head and ear. Ethan got lots of fun toys and enjoyed all the attention from everyone. We were sad to have to go home as we only see our Maine family once a year. We're determined to change that by going for a visit this summer.

I'll post pictures as soon as they're available, promise.

xoxo
Heather

1 comment:

Isaac's Mom said...

Hi Heather!
I'm not sure why you can't post comments on my site...Hmmmm, I'll have to go over the settings again. It's so awesome that Ethan is making growling sounds when he sees a bear. Too cute! He's making the connection which is great. I think for me, that when Isaac does things like that it is so much more special. I definately appreciate these "little things" so much more. If Isaac could hear normally, I don't think I would value these milestones as much. I didn't post my email on the blog, but you can feel free to email me any time at: hurricanegirl23@yahoo.com. Take care!